Gypsum board… its pros and cons in decor
Know more about gypsum board types, uses, and tips of its installing.
What are the types of gypsum board? what are its pros and cons? Does it have many types? What are the uses of gypsum board in decor? Is it used in bedrooms or in kitchens and balconies only? How is it installed?
All such questions will be answered in this article.
What Is A Gypsum Board?
Gypsum board is a mixture of gypsum, fiberglass, and silicon. It is manufactured to become suspended gypsum ceilings, and it is used to decorate the ceilings and walls of bedrooms and kitchens as an alternative to fake ceilings. It is a German-origin technology and is divided into several types, everything about which we will talk in detail.
What Are the Types of Gypsum Board?
1- Fire-and-Moisture-Resistant Gypsum Board
This gypsum material contains silicon and fiberglass, covered with green double-sided cardboard and with green adhesive. It is frequently used in humid places such as bathrooms or kitchens, and it is the most expensive and best type of gypsum board.
2- Standard Gypsum Board
It is wrapped in a layer of cardboard with the white color on one side and with the gray color on the other, as well as with a blue side adhesive. Such type can be used in any place except for humid places, such as the bathroom and the kitchen.
3- Fire-Resistant Gypsum Board
It is similar to the standard gypsum board in its packaging, but it has just a different adhesive, i.e., a red one, and it is used for walls.
Where is the Gypsum Board Sold? How Is It Installed?
Although using the gypsum board in ceilings and walls has become common recently, Egypt lacks factories for manufacturing it. It is produced by the German Knauf Company that has a branch in Egypt, and the Italian Placo company, which has distributing companies in Egypt such as El Qods for Trade and Contracting.
The gypsum board is installed through a 4 mm thick metal chassis consisting of (corner + omega + C) pieces, then the corners are fixed to the walls, followed by the C and omegas, to form the surface level and finally the gypsum boards are installed by screws.
Prices of Gypsum Boards
The price per meter ranges from EGP 120 to EGP 160, and the price per square meter for wages of workmanship ranges between EGP 190 and EGP 220.
The Pros and Cons of Gypsum Board
- Fast installation, and ease of disassembly and use
- Low cost, lightweight compared to other alternatives
- Moisture insulation, and fire resistance
- It controls the height of the roofs, as it does not leave any impurities or dirt like ordinary plasters.
- Sound leakier
- Less stable compared to the normal roof
- Among the most major defects of suspended ceilings made from gypsum board is that it is sometimes prone to erosion and falling.
What Are the Uses of Gypsum Board?
- It is used as a decoration for bedrooms and halls, which provides aesthetic shapes in the rooms
- It is also used as a decoration for ceilings, like houses for lights, regular or random geometric shapes, then lighting is installed to grant them an attractive look
- Furthermore, it is used as a decoration for walls, such as making up illuminated frames around furniture, or decorations for the bookcases in which the television is placed and surrounded by a group of shelves in an elegant and distinct manner
2- Functional uses
- It is used in building walls to divide rooms, offices, and all spaces at houses or companies
- It is used to build flat ceilings above which the wires of facilities can be hidden, such as electricity, satellite, telephone, and air conditioner wires
Tips Before Using Gypsum Board
- Make sure you assign a professional technician to install the gypsum board, for there are many people who cannot deal with the installation of gypsum materials or using the right molds. Therefore, you will avoid severe consequences, and the possibility of cracks or collapses that may occur to the gypsum board.
- You must know the durability of the gypsum board before installing it, as it does not bear large weights, as well as, it does not resist water and rain. It is also affected by friction with solid objects, so be careful when installing it at the corners.